Thread: Transferring iWeb From MobileMe to MacHighway

Transferring iWeb From MobileMe to MacHighway

So I just transferred my site with only a slight hiccup. It seems to be live within 24 hours! You guys rock! Turned out the warning about iWeb 09 at the BOTTOM of your instruction video required me to save iWeb to a folder on the desktop then transfer using the instructions for iWeb 08. There's only one page that doesn't seem to work: "License" where I get a 404 error. If I can find the missing files can I just drag them over to the Transfer window and update without having to re-load the entire website? How about future changes. Can I continue to use iWeb and transfer only the changed html file and folder? Should I upload to the temporary site or a different url or can I publish changes directly from iWeb?

If you want to continue exporting the site to a folder and then uploading through an FTP app you would want to reupload the entire site each time you make changes. However, my recommendation would be to see if you can get publishing working directly from iWeb as that will be the easiest way to publish changes to your site. We'll be happy to help you get that working. I would recommend giving us a call or opening a support ticket.
    http://www.machighway.com/contact.php
    Last edited by MacHighway_Ryan; 04-06-2012 at 01:42 PM.
    Ryan C.
    MacHighway Support

not sure if my last note went through as this is the first time I've used this site. I am just wondering if this iweb issue was solved. I could not use iweb to upload my web pages and was told to use filezilla. it all worked fine with filezilla but now I want to update some with new information and photos but am not sure how to do that. I too was excited about using iweb for the updates but my iweb app tells me that my password is incorrect when I try to upload in ftp. thanks for any help or insights.

Newbie here needing newbie help. I just followed the video for transferring my iWeb 08 site to MacHighway but cannot see anything yet on the temporary URL. Is that correct? Two things that bothered me in the process of transfer that may help me fix the problem, if there is indeed a problem so a few questions:
    (1) using cyberduck to transfer the files ftp, the tutorial video/MacHighway page stressed only transferring two files, the index html file and the Sites folder; however, I have those two folders plus two other "Sites" folders in my exported folder on my desktop. Should I transfer them too using cyberduck, or not? Those are the sites with the stuff on them!
    (2) if I followed all the instructions above in the tutorial, and I have a domain name and site registered via MacHighway and my Account info in the email etc., was I supposed to do anything on the iWeb/Mac MobileMe side to transfer name servers or anything else?
    (3) When Mobile Me goes away tomorrow, will my site info be safe in my Exported Site folder on my desktop for me to keep trying to work this out even if the Mobile Me site is gone?
    (4) I want to be able, for the time being, to use iWeb to update my site on MacHighway without going through MobileMe of course so can I do it directly from now after doing all the above steps in the tutorial etc?

kam12

Quote Originally Posted by kam12 View Post
    Newbie here needing newbie help. I just followed the video for transferring my iWeb 08 site to MacHighway but cannot see anything yet on the temporary URL. Is that correct?
    It sounds like you have uploaded your website to the root directory not in public_html You may want to confirm this by having a look within FTP client.

(1) Using cyberduck to transfer the files ftp, the tutorial video/MacHighway page stressed only transferring two files, the index html file and the Sites folder; however, I have those two folders plus two other "Sites" folders in my exported folder on my desktop. Should I transfer them too using cyberduck, or not? Those are the sites with the stuff on them!
    in your case I would recommend you transfer everything as it looks like you have separate website set up in iWeb

(2) If I followed all the instructions above in the tutorial, and I have a domain name and site registered via MacHighway and my Account info in the email etc., was I supposed to do anything on the iWeb/Mac MobileMe side to transfer name servers or anything else?
    You shouldn't have to but I want to confirm your domain name is registered also with MacHighway? if so then it's a new domain name it may take a while to propagate. if it's registered with someone else you will need to follow the information in the e-mail you received to change the name servers this also will take some time to propagate.

(3) When Mobile Me goes away tomorrow, will my site info be safe in my Exported Site folder on my desktop for me to keep trying to work this out even if the Mobile Me site is gone?
    Yes it should be as iWeb always keeps a local copy this is why you can make changes to your website off-line and is the reason why you then have to publish those change to the Internet. if you are using a separate feature called "MobileMe Galleries" which was tied to iPhoto you will need to look on the Internet on how to back this information up.

(4) I want to be able, for the time being, to use iWeb to update my site on MacHighway without going through MobileMe of course so can I do it directly from now after doing all the above steps in the tutorial etc?
    This depends on what version you are using and if they FTP uploading feature is working correctly in that version. if not you can always save to a folder and upload that folder to MacHighway using another FTP client. this takes a little longer as is always republishing the whole website not just the changes you made.
    KyleKreusch.org: Website | Facebook | Twitter
    My Business: IT Solutions and Consulting + Web Services and development.